Financial Controller @ Enviu
The impact organization in a start-up environment
Social venture-building studio Enviu is looking for a talented and ambitious Financial Controller to shape and optimize the Finance & Administration and Control function of Enviu and its ventures. The candidate is someone who understands where impact meets business, someone who likes to build businesses, is proactive, and has an entrepreneurial mindset. Do you like start-ups? Do you see the long-term financial consequences of decisions? Are you eager to be engaged in real ESG reporting? Can you take a helicopter view and have an eye for detail?
Well… then, we are looking for you!
Enviu starts issue-driven programs that deliver high-impact start-ups. With our offices in Rotterdam, Bangalore, Jakarta, and Nairobi, we are working towards an inclusive economy that serves people and the planet. We are currently looking for a Financial Controller based in our Rotterdam office whose financial accounting and business management expertise translates into sustained business growth.
About the role…
To ensure success as a Financial Controller, you should exhibit extensive knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting and have experience in a similar environment. The successful candidate will be someone whose financial controlling and business management expertise translates into sustained business growth. You’ll provide financial information to the management by researching and analyzing accounting data and preparing reports.
- Be part of the Enviu finance team and work closely with the CFO to produce the month-end reporting pack within Group deadlines;
- Be part of the further development of Enviu’s impact measurement;
- Be intensely involved in budget and cashflow forecasting process;
- Ensure all balance sheet reconciliations are completed each month;
- Process month-end journals, including payroll, depreciation, overheads, accruals, and prepayments;
- Be primarily responsible for adequate submission of all statutory returns for various authorities, including VAT returns and EU Statistics (Intrastat);
- Be primarily responsible for year-end statutory accounts and audit process.
- Perform external communication with funders, subsidy providers, suppliers, banks, auditors, accountants/payroll providers, Dutch tax authority (Belastingdienst), and government agencies;
- Provide accounting support for our start-up portfolio companies;
- Maintain Internal Controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures;
- Oversee accounting procedures and supervise junior financial department staff.
You have …
- Extensive knowledge of accounting standards (Dutch GAAP, IFRS) and financial regulations;
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills with sound attention to detail;
- The ability to create structure and overview and demonstrate organizational and problem-solving skills;
- A drive to help us on our mission to establish an economy that truly serves people and the planet.
- Experience in ESG reporting is a pre, interest in impact measurement a must;
- Experience with & proven success in working in a fast-paced and complex business environment, working project-based with the business on different levels;
- Experience in working with multiple legal entities under different legal umbrellas is a pre;
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in tax, accounting, or finance, an additional CMA and/or CFA is a pre;
- At least three years of working experience in a finance function or an accountancy practice. This role is open to an ambitious junior as well as someone more experienced;
- Proficiency in business management and accounting software, AFAS, QuickBooks and Power BI is a pre-requisite;
- Furthermore, you have excellent collaboration and communication skills, are fluent in Dutch (this is a must) and English, and have a good sense of humor.
What your days look like…
- You come into the office somewhere between 8 am and 10 am, or work from home (we’re pretty flexible), get a fair-chain coffee or a nice cup of tea;
- You say hi to your colleagues, joke around a bit about your previous evening or something finance-related;
- Depending on the time of the month or year, you get started on working on the month’s end, VAT reports, cash flow forecast, or a due diligence question from a funder;
- Somewhere in between, you receive a burning question from one of our portfolio companies; they’d forgotten a vital deadline and needed a financial report asap, so you help them out;
- If you’re at the office, you have lunch with your colleagues and catch up on the latest tv shows, circular economy strategies, or debate who would be the best ballroom dancer;
- After lunch, you’re in a meeting with your finance colleagues from Indonesia and Kenya to discuss some budget questions and have a laugh about the weather differences;
- The rest of the day, you’re working on that thing you’d started in the morning, perhaps a few more questions come in, and you finish the VAT report;
- At the end of the day, you go home (or sometimes out for a drink or a meeting in a café) fulfilled and happy to have gotten so much done.
- An entrepreneurial start-up environment where you can think independently, as well as an experiment — or in the Enviu parlance, pilot your ideas;
- An international setting where everyone shares the same drive and you get to work closely with your finance colleagues in other Enviu offices.
- A remuneration package that complements the impact sector.
- A nice and welcoming office space in the center of Rotterdam, with fair chain coffee, exotic teas, and fruits waiting for you every morning.
- Working with a group of talented, passionate, and fun colleagues who share the ambition to change the world.
- The contract hours are 32-40 hours per week.
Send us your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 12, 2023. Kindly note that we will be interviewing continuously, which means that we may close the application process earlier than stated if we find the right candidate.
Call (010) 2887970 and ask for Annika or send an email to email@example.com if you need more information.
Enviu loves diversity. Different perspectives, backgrounds, and insights increase our thought processes and improve outcomes. It doesn’t matter where you were born, what you believe in, how old you are, and who you love. We are only curious about your drive and motivation to contribute to Enviu and its impact ambitions. You are not obliged to state your date of birth and gender in your CV and application form.
We hope to hear from you soon!