At Enviu, we believe in an inclusive economy that serves people and planet. We build programs and ventures that address social and environmental issues hands-on, and drive market development. We are growing rapidly through our offices in the Netherlands, India, Indonesia and Kenya; working on topics of sustainable apparel, zero-emission shipping, zero waste living and sustainable food systems.
With our program ‘FoodFlow’ we work towards 0% food loss in critical value chains across East Africa. To this end we build ventures, set-up action research projects and ensure knowledge dissemination supported by a network of partners, funders and other stakeholders. We are now for example working on ‘cold storage as a service’, market linkage and processing of export reject produce. Our ambition is to increase farmer incomes, increase the flow of nutritious food to the market, and reduce the strain of agriculture on the environment in a way that inspires others to follow suit.
Your role in FoodFlow
As the Program Associate of FoodFlow you work closely together with the Regional Program Manager to create an enabling environment for the ventures to thrive and build partnerships that accelerate achieving our impact KPI’s. You will primarily support program management and business development, playing a key role in identifying and coordinating funding opportunities and contributing to the continuation of Enviu’s activities in East Africa. This involves, among others, qualitative and quantitative research, analysis of literature, staying on top of recent developments in the food systems sector in (East) Africa, general administrative support, fundraising, proposal writing, and grant management. You will play an active role in supporting the FoodFlow ventures and will coordinate and deliver reporting of projects towards their funders.
Who You Are
We are looking for a highly motivated and effective program associate, based in Nairobi, with a passion for Enviu’s and FoodFlow’s mission. This role requires strong analytical and data management skills, a consultative approach, excellent writing skills, and the ability to translate technical proposals to engaging stories. You are
keen to further build your experience and track record in international development and feel strong affinity with creating impact through entrepreneurship.
In your work, you are motivated by producing and delivering high-quality work and have an eye for detail. You are a structured and open communicator who is flexible, able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines. On top of that, you enjoy working in a team and are looking for a challenge to make an impact. You want to get your hands dirty to support smart interventions to ensure a positive transition to a sustainable food system.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Drive the development of FoodFlow (and its business interventions), realize its health, growth and scale its impact;
Business Development Support:
- Secure funding for the program’s continuity by (supporting in) developing and writing winning funding proposals.
- Proactively identify, research and develop a pipeline of grant/funding opportunities both on program and on venture level
- Oversee the development of the projects and program’s monitoring and evaluation
Program Management Support:
- Lead in the completion of financial/grant reporting, writing timely, detailed reports to funders in line with their stated requirements.
- Monitor and report progress of objectives and goals of the program and projects.
- ME&L: Work closely with venture builders to ensure capturing the necessary outcome and impact data for reporting requirements.
- Contribute to preparing operational and statistical information needed for updating, reporting and decision making.
- Provide admin and CRM support
- Assist in producing program materials, such as website content, presentations
- Support with other small assignments and/or projects that may reasonably fall onto your plate
Skills and Competencies
- You have a Bachelors degree in a relevant field (international studies, business, social science or management) and 2-5 years of previous work experience – or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience with (and a love for) project and program development, fundraising, grant writing, ME&L and research
- You live in Nairobi, where our office is located
- You have the innate ability to synthesize information quickly into coherent text
- You are an absolute star with office and google suite (word, excel, powerpoint) and work magic with pivot tables, vlookups and gantt charts
- You juggle different tasks simultaneously and prioritize projects efficiently
- You have the ability to be flexible, well-organized and self-sufficient, with a hands-on mentality; the success of this program lies in its impact.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with:
- Meaningful experience within food systems / agriculture.
- An established broad network of key stakeholders and individuals and acquired insights into key issues impacting food value chains in transitioning to sustainable practices.
- You can show you’ve successfully secured grants of sizes 300k EUR and above
- Experience with (social) entrepreneurship.
- Experience in management consultancy.
- Familiarity with logic models, log frames and theories of change in developmental context is a plus
- You are knowledgeable and have an active interest in sustainability and agriculture and would love to contribute your skills and knowledge to accelerate the transition towards a sustainable future.
What we offer you
- Competitive package with the opportunity to develop yourself in a truly unique and challenging international environment;
- A job with purpose and societal impact;
- The opportunity to contribute to building social enterprises;
- Working with a small group of talented, passionate and fun colleagues who share the ambition to change the world.
- For this role, we are offering an initial 1-year contract for 32 to 40 hours per week.
- We offer a job with purpose and societal impact for a passionate person that loves to learn continuously and take up responsibilities in a vibrant and talented team. Salary is competitive, keeping in mind we are a non-profit, startup organization.
Do you have an open, engaged and strong personality with a drive for entrepreneurship and impact? Please apply before November 19th